Sunday, March 2, 2008

I think I have a crush on Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Is it possible to like a writer's writing so much that you start to become romantically attracted to them as well? Well, that's exactly what seems to be happening to me. I just finished reading the excellent debut "Purple Hibiscus" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. This breakout first novel was shortlisted for the Orange Prize and the John Llewellyn Rhys Prize, as well as longlisted for the Man Booker Prize. In layman's terms, it was the shit when it dropped.



I totally understand and support the awards and accolades that Ms. Adichie has garnered for the release of this book. Not only is it a powerful read, complete with complex characters, a challenging yet engaging storyline with an optimistic apex, and a drummer's touch rhythm to the way her symphonic language flows, it is also simple in nature, almost without intention, just being because the these beings exist. What I like the most about it all, on a personal level, is that it was based in Nigeria and within the Igbo culture, the root of my Afropolitan claim. Being born and raised in the U.S., finding books with Igbo subjects in them is like finding a two dollar bill in your wallet. You just don't see them that often. However, this book, in its apparent rarity, has managed to become quite familiar to thousands of people worldwide, transcending the limitations of an "African Literature" title.

Now, beyond Chimamanda's obvious talent to stimulate our senses when reading her work, she is becoming more and more alluring to me because she is what I think a 21st century African woman should be. She is educated, yet still knowledgeable about her roots and tradition. She is traveled, yet still prioritizes Africa. She is expressive, yet respectful enough to be humble. She is well-spoken, yet still sings the language of her forefathers (Afropolitans could be an exception here). She is political, yet still human enough to be an artist. Not to mention, she has a nice smile too :-)





What I am getting at is that I think she can stand as an example for the African woman who is coming of age today. Maybe I am biased because she is Igbo, however, I believe many can learn from her example. After reading her first book and many interviews she has conducted, including a YouTube clip of a presentation she made at the Christopher Okigbo International Conference at Harvard University (I am not a stalker, just an admirer), I think her respect is well-deserved. She is calm, collected, creative, conscious. If you get a chance, check out her work. I highly recommend "Purple Hibiscus". She has another book too that I plan to read next, Half of a Yellow Sun, a people's story that takes place during the little talked about Biafran-Nigerian War between 1967 - 70. I am expecting that one to be just as good as this one given the reviews. I am looking forward to reading it, becoming emotionally and psychologically involved with the characters and plot, interpreting the message in all the ways that I was meant to interpret it, oh, and of course, developing my crush all over again.

3 comments:

Ms Sula said...

I have a girl crush on her as well! She was in Houston a couple of weeks ago but I missed the reading... :(

Chike Nwabukwu said...

Have you read Half of a Yellow Sun?

guerreiranigeriana said...

lmao...

Is it possible to like a writer's writing so much that you start to become romantically attracted to them as well? ...absolutely...

...hope to pick up purple hibiscus, if they'll have it...